Here are some frequently asked questions about how
What are the features and benefits of Giovene?
Giovene scar formula:1
- Softens, flattens and lightens scars
- Is non-greasy and oil free
- Dries quickly (in 2 minutes)
- Contains Vitamin C ester which has a neutral pH that is non-irritating to the skin
- Lightens scars and protects them from the environment
- Is water resistant
- Is clinically proven
What type of scars can Giovene be used on?
Giovene is suitable for use on scars that result from surgery or accidents (i.e. cuts, burns, scratches and abrasions). These scars may be large, thick, dry, elevated or dark/red in appearance. They may also be itchy or even painful. Giovene can be used on the face, body or on keloid scars.1
How can Giovene help reduce the appearance of scars?
Giovene dries to form a thin, transparent, flexible, gas-permeable and water-resistant silicone sheet which adheres to the skin.7 It is universally recognised that silicone gel occludes and hydrates the area of application, which helps to reduce the appearance of scars. Silicone gels are recommended as the current gold standard option for hypertrophic scars and keloids.9
When should I apply Giovene?
For minor scars (i.e. small burns, cuts and scratches) you may apply Giovene after the scar has healed or closed. For major scars (i.e. from surgical wounds) you may start to apply Giovene 10 – 14 days after surgery.1
How long should I use Giovene for?
Initial improvement in scars may be observed after 8 weeks of continued use. Continuous usage for 3-6 months is required to appreciate the full benefit of Giovene.1
When should Giovene not be used?
Giovene should not be applied to open or wet wounds. Giovene should not be applied near the eyes or used concurrently with other skin medications without the advice of your healthcare professional.1
In general, Giovene should not cause irritation, redness or pain. If any irritation occurs, stop using the product and consult your healthcare professional.1
How should Giovene be stored?
Store below 25°C and away from heat sources. Keep out of reach of children. Do not use after the expiry date.1
Can Giovene be used during pregnancy?
Please consult your healthcare professional for advice prior to using Giovene during pregnancy.
How does Giovene help to lighten scars?
Giovene contains an innovative cyclic and polymeric siloxanes (CPX) technology which improves the appearance of scars by softening, flattening and moisturising the scar.
Giovene contains Vitamin C ester which has a neutral pH that is non-irritating to the skin. This scar formula has been clinically proven to lighten scars and protect them from the environment.1
Can Giovene be used on sensitive skin?
Giovene can be used on the face, body or on keloid scars1 and is suitable for sensitive skin.10
- Giovene Package Insert 2016
- Giovene Packaging
- Scars, Department of Dermatology, Columbia University Medical Centre. Available from: http://www.dermatology.columbia.edu/conditions/scars.html [accessed 24 Feb 2016]
- National Health Service (UK). Available from: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Scars/Pages/Introduction.aspx [accessed 4 Mar 2016]
- Encyclopedia. Available from: http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Scars.aspx [accessed 2 Jun 2016]
- Sepehrmanesh M. Kompendium Dermatologie 2006;1:1-4
- Mustoe T. Aesth. Plast. Surg. 2008;32:82-92
- Yun IS, et al. Aesth. Plast. Surg. 2013;37:1176-1181
- Meaume S, et al. Eur J Dermatol 2014; 24:435-443
- Sensitivity study 2014, Menarini Data on file